Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Oh Dear, I've Done It Again!

Oh Dear, I've Done It Again! 09 Oct 2013 12:35 #20

• Serge C
  • Administrator
  • I Wanna Be Sedated
  • Thank you received: 169
I've just 'won' a 1976 TS 250 on eBay.  Looks like I've got my winter project!

More details and pics to follow.
"That's what I do, I drink and I know things!" - Tyrion Lannister
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Oh Dear, I've Done It Again! 09 Oct 2013 12:36 #21

• Serge C
  • Administrator
  • I Wanna Be Sedated
Here are the pics off eBay.

just waiting for the vendor to contact me so I can arrange to pick her up.
Last Edit: 19 Aug 2017 13:09 by Serge C.

Oh Dear, I've Done It Again! 09 Oct 2013 12:36 #22

• Serge C
  • Administrator
  • I Wanna Be Sedated
Thought I’d give an up-date on my latest project.

I purchased this little ‘gem’ from eBay in May, as another project to tackle over the winter months.  I brought it home, walked
around it a few times, scratched my head and asked myself, “why?”  The vendor said that it would fire up with 2 or 3 kicks. 
I wasn’t too optimistic, but sure enough she fired on 3!  She idled quite happily, so I pulled the clutch (no funny noises) and
selected first (slipped in smoothly) and eased the clutch out, just to see what happened.  No ugly surprises, but with no brakes,
2 flats and a decidedly dodgy looking drive system, I chose not to try riding it.

Content in the knowledge that it would run, I shut her down and on a cold, wet, miserable Melbourne day,
I pulled her down to the frame to start the resto.  It never ceases to amaze me the amount grunge these old bikes seem
to accumulate!  I scraped heaps of mud and grease out of all its nooks and crannies, and I reckon the frame weighed about
5 kilos less than when I started!

The rear guard (which is steel), had a sizable chunk taken out of the end.  It’s probably repairable, but I sourced a replacement
and got that ready to paint.  The seat that came with the bike is not the original, and for that matter, doesn’t even fit!  It was
just sitting loosely on the frame and I don’t even think it’s a Suzuki seat!  So I got one out from the US, and purchased a seat cover,
so they will be sent off soon to be put together.

I sent the frame off to be sandblasted, and set about blasting the swing arm, stand, brake rod, pegs etc in my blasting cabinet. 
When the frame was ready to collect, I set up and blew two coats of 2-pack over everything, and got ready to re-assemble.

I had also blasted and painted the triple clamps, and bought a set of taper bearings to replace the original loose balls. 
The kit said “no machining necessary”.  Bull-dust!  The lower bearing didn’t fit, so Wade helped me out again, and got
this sorted.  Still waiting for a replacement bearing, but expect that this week.

So when the paint was dry, I bolted on the swing arm (complete with new bushes, thrust washers, o-rings and dust caps). 
Cleaned and attached the inner plastic rear guards and the freshly painted rear guard.  Affixed the air-box, oil tank holder
and oil tank.  Replaced the brake pedal, brake control rod and stand bracket.  Put the tank rubbers in place and that’s about it!

I had sent the suspension to Chad’s Offroad set-ups to get serviced.  Turns out that the rear shocks are serviceable
(which is great), but I got a call from Chad late on Friday with bad news about the fork.  Apparently, one leg is rooted!
  I glazed over when he started telling me this, so I don’t really understand how bad it is.  That will be this week’s
dilemma to sort out!  I don’t think it will be insurmountable, but will probably require a few more dollars that I hoped
to spend!  Oh well, I guess that’s the way it goes in this game!

More as it comes to hand.
Last Edit: 19 Aug 2017 11:57 by Serge C.

Oh Dear, I've Done It Again! 09 Oct 2013 12:37 #23

• Serge C
  • Administrator
  • I Wanna Be Sedated
Another up-date.

I received the replacement lower bearing from Pyramid parts, so was able to put the triple clamp together, and install
them on the bike.  This made the front end look more complete, and got a few extra bits off the bench and where they
belonged.

I received the rear shocks back from Chad, so was able to assemble them.  Although they had fresh oil and seals, they looked
pretty crappy.

They improved with a coat of paint.

And started to look a bit cute after a few minutes on the linasher.

Then looked real sexy when re-assembled with re-chromed springs and cups!

A big improvement on how they looked when I got them!

The fork has become a bit of a dilemma.  Turns out that one leg has rusted (internally) so badly, that the spring has fused
with the inner-tube and wound come out!  Despite being soaked for a number of days, it won’t move.  The damper rod is
also stuck, and the whole corroded set has left a helluva mess in the bottom tube.  So, effectively I need one fork leg!  I’ve
teed up a replacement set, but need to make the call that at least one side is gonna bet better than what I’ve got!  The whole
debacle is gonna set me back a few bob, but that’s the way it goes!

I’ve been working on other bits and pieces too.  On a windy evening last week, I fired up the blow-torch and air-gun and
burned out the exhaust.  Boy that puts out some smoke!  Probably 30 odd years of gunge heading off into space!   Gary C
then took the pipe to his place and blasted and painted it for me, and now I get to attached my NOS heat shield!  I am not
ready for this yet, but I wanted to see how it looks, and I reckon it looks real good!

I put on a few other bits like the pillion-pegs, CDI unit and coil, just to get them off the bench (once again).  There will be
some other bits I’ll do that to too!

I was hoping to have a rolling chassis complete before I went to Cape York, but at this stage, I think I’ll keep in sweet with
the hugs-and-kisses, and just aim to have a sprung frame.  With Harrow, Cape York and a ride weekend in Holbrook in
September, I may be pushing my luck with all this bike related expenditure!

Until next time.
Last Edit: 19 Aug 2017 13:10 by Serge C.

Oh Dear, I've Done It Again! 09 Oct 2013 12:38 #24

• Serge C
  • Administrator
  • I Wanna Be Sedated
I realized I hadn't up-dated this for a while, (not that I've done much), so here goes!

I finally sourced a set of forks (from the US), and got them sent out.  They looked good, so they went down to Chad's
and he serviced them, new seals etc, and sent them back.  I had them polished, and slipped them into the triples, along
with the headlight mounts.  I then polished up the bars and bolted them in place to 'finish' the front end.  While I was in
Harrow, I collected a 'donor' bike from Mark (SA).  This bike gave up it's headlight for my resto, so I removed all the rust
and painted it, and then polished up the chrome rim.  There's still a bit of rust spotting on it, but it will certainly suffice
until something else avails itself.

I also polished the switch gear, and replaced the loom tubes.

I located a near new looking tail-light in QLD, and got that sent down.  A light buff got it looking pretty good!  These things
would have to be the biggest tail-light assy ever installed on a motor-cycle!

The donor bike also gave up the tool tray that lives under the seat, along with a side-cover, although I'm hesitant about
using the cover 'cos I'll probably leave it on the '74.  So, realistically I'm still looking for one of those.  I also had to repair the
spigot on the tacho, so that got dismantled and cleaned up, along with the speedo and the mounting bracket.  All fixed now
and in place.

That's about as far as I've gotten.  It's been a busy couple of months (just passed), and now with Cookardinia looming
and a European Christmas holiday planned, the resto will probably get shelved for the rest of the year.  The next main
job is to get the wheels re-built, and that don't come cheap!  I think I'll have to get back in the good books with the
Financial Controller!
Last Edit: 19 Aug 2017 12:14 by Serge C.

Oh Dear, I've Done It Again! 09 Oct 2013 12:39 #25

• Serge C
  • Administrator
  • I Wanna Be Sedated
Things are starting to get back on the move on this project.  I recently had the front wheel polished, and re-laced with new spokes.  Also, polished all the brake components and installed new bearings.

I reckon it looks grouse!

Spent part of the weekend stripping the back wheel for the same treatment.  That will go to my polishing man sometime next week (might wait for the heat to back-off a bit!)  Then off to Lightfoot for the magic!

I've done some investigating re tyres, and the best I've come up with (recommended by Mick Hone), is the Cheng Shin C186.  Seems to be the most 'period correct' rubber at a reasonable price.  I won't be racing or doing huge street miles on this bike, so longevity of wear is not a major factor!
Last Edit: 19 Aug 2017 12:17 by Serge C.

Oh Dear, I've Done It Again! 09 Oct 2013 12:39 #26

• Serge C
  • Administrator
  • I Wanna Be Sedated
ROLLING! ROLLING! ROLLING!

After what seems like 4-EV-A, the TS is finally rolling.

The final piece of the puzzle fell into place yesterday, when I collected the rear wheel from Lightfoot.  The combination of Phil and my polishing guy, managed to turn a silk purse out of a sow's ear.  This back wheel was ugly, but some serious polishing and Phil's magic made it happen.

I installed a new set of bearings and a NOS set of cush-drive rubbers, bolted on a NOS (apparently) rear sprocket and a new Pirelli to complete the ensemble.

The whole shooting match is held in place with a new set of chain adjusters, slider and nut and axle nut.  all bright and shiny and gorgeous!

This now breaks the project down to more manageable chunks, seat, engine, tank and final fit-out (cables, controls, wiring etc). First to happen will be the seat renovation and then the engine will hit the bench.

But for now I'll revel in the ability to move her around in the shed, without crashing into it all the time!
Last Edit: 19 Aug 2017 12:23 by Serge C.

Oh Dear, I've Done It Again! 09 Oct 2013 12:40 #27

• Serge C
  • Administrator
  • I Wanna Be Sedated
Well, I know what I'm doing this weekend!

I hope I remember where everything goes.  Now let's see.....the knee bone's connected to the thigh bone...!

Last Edit: 19 Aug 2017 12:27 by Serge C.

Oh Dear, I've Done It Again! 09 Oct 2013 12:41 #28

• Serge C
  • Administrator
  • I Wanna Be Sedated
I spent last weekend re-building the motor, new rings, gudgeon pin, lil' end bearing, cir-clips, gaskets etc.  Also installed a NOS gear selector shaft (with Dave's assistance), so no more welded gear levers! And a NOS kick-starter.

Painted and assembled it all, and I reckon it looks pretty good!

Stuck the whole package into the frame, so I guess I officially have a motor-bike!

Also had the seat re-covered (Pit Replica cover), and restored the base.

And spent today cleaning and polishing the carbie, so that's also installed, although I have no pic of it.

Magneto cover has become a bit of an issue.  One of the lugs that hold the sprocket cover has snapped off, so I'm trying to find another one.  Lemme know if you happen to have one lying around!
Last Edit: 19 Aug 2017 12:35 by Serge C.

Oh Dear, I've Done It Again! 09 Oct 2013 12:41 #29

• Serge C
  • Administrator
  • I Wanna Be Sedated
IT IS ALIVE!!

More to follow!
Last Edit: 09 Oct 2013 12:49 by Serge C.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ian Robinson
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.265 seconds