Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: PE Side Covers

PE Side Covers 20 Jun 2014 20:39 #3268

• Serge C
  • Administrator
  • I Wanna Be Sedated
  • Thank you received: 169
I was never really happy with the side covers on me PE250.  They were the originals and they looked pretty ratty.  I gave them to a Vinduro mate of mine and he sprayed them.  The original plastic was still quite flexible, but the 2-pack paint wasn't and they cracked!

I knew that originals were still available through Suzuki (at about $80 each), but they came painted silver!  Apparently, the molds were starting to get damaged and Suzuki painted them (silver) so people would then paint them yellow...go figure!  So the issue was, do i get a set and paint them, or do i try and remove the silver and see what's underneath.  I opted for the latter.

I have a number of different types of thinners at work, so I tried them all and nothing even budged the silver, so I went to Bunnings and bought some good, ol' industrial strength paint stripping gel.

The directions said not to use it on plastic, but who listens to directions?  So I tested it on the back of the old side cover with no damage occurring.  Well, I thought, in for a penny, in for a pound and I brushed it on.  The paint started to blister and the more I brushed, the more it removed.  I got hasty and used a scotch-brite pad to speed up the process, but when finished, I noticed that the scourer had left some marks, not bad but they are there.  With the second cover, I just used the brush and let the gel do the work, it's slower but giving a better result.

The reverse side of the covers were not painted.

And although one side has a few scuff marks, it's much better than what I had.

I'll probably be able to buff them out anyway, and end up with a pair of new, original covers.  Of course, the first time I throw the bike away they'll be stuffed even more!

So all in all, a good result that I'm happy with.
"That's what I do, I drink and I know things!" - Tyrion Lannister
The administrator has disabled public write access.

PE Side Covers 20 Jun 2014 20:47 #3269

• nathanstott
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 15
Cut your losses and buy an old Husky! :)

PE Side Covers 20 Jun 2014 21:14 #3270

• Peter R
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 47
I used that Paint Stripper on the PE  frame, it works a Treat, BUT not good on your hands if you have cuts on them  " Burns like Crazy "
Time to create page: 0.572 seconds