Username: Password: Remember me
Post your ride reports here

TOPIC: Phil's SATURDAY Marysville Ride

Phil's SATURDAY Marysville Ride 06 Mar 2016 12:29 #15015

• Serge C
  • Administrator
  • I Wanna Be Sedated
  • Thank you received: 169
Phil confused his regular punters by announcing that this month's ride was gonna be on Saturday, rather than Sunday.  There was a public outcry!  So Mark offered to run the Sunday loop so peace and harmony would rule the cosmos again.

Despite many 'promises' on the web (and a couple of late withdrawals), 7 souls arrived to join Phil.  We headed out of the carpark and went about 200 meters to our first track, when Phil pulled up and complained about no rear brakes.  We tinkered, scratched, pondered and decided to send him home (with no supper) for poor bike maintenance!

So suddenly, Mark's Sunday loop became Saturday's ride and off we went.  The small group meant we moved along quite well, although the heat of the day was un-pleasant and combined with the dust and no breeze, it was a fairly uncomfortable day.  We spent most of the time in the Toolangi side of the forest, challenging those assembled to selection of steep(ish) ups and downs.  Most coped fine, some struggled and I spent more time picking up bikes that I have in ages!  The more open trails were the favorite of the crew, so Mark stuck to them later in the morning.

At midday(ish), we re-grouped and made plans for the afternoon.  I had to leave after lunch, others had had enough and were looking to bail, so the decision was made to take a loop back to the cars, forgo the cake shop for lunch and call it a day.  Given the look on some faces, that was a good call.

So 4 hours riding and around 85ks for the day.  Thanks to Mark for stepping up and running the ride and thanks for those that came and endured the testing conditions.  Commiserations to Phil, who I suspect is in his shed, tinkering as I write.
"That's what I do, I drink and I know things!" - Tyrion Lannister
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Phil's SATURDAY Marysville Ride 07 Mar 2016 11:43 #15019

• Phil Randall
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 50
            Well I certainly muffed it!!.  And so thankful that Marks choise to ride on both days, saved the day.
            As for the brakes, they were ok when I rode around my yard before I left home.  When we removed the master cylinder cover it was clear that there was not an abundance of fluid.  However the sight window was full indicting sufficient fluid and there was no signs of leakage.  The low level line on the casting is below the sight window.  Even after attempts to bleed the system there was apparently enough fluid.
            Back in the workshop I stripped the cylinder, generally cleaned and inspected the components and reassembled, filled with new fluid and bled out the air.  Brakes appear to work ok and there are no obvious leaks.
             So  have I learned anything?  I will no longer rely solely on the fluid indicator. Theoretically that is what it is there for, to obviate the need to remove the top cover for routine maintenance.

To my fellow riders, sorry to have let you down. And to Mark, thanks a million.
Phil R.

Phil's SATURDAY Marysville Ride 07 Mar 2016 13:27 #15020

• Frankieboy
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 105
Phil Randall wrote:
            Well I certainly muffed it!!.  And so thankful that Marks choise to ride on both days, saved the day.
            As for the brakes, they were ok when I rode around my yard before I left home.  When we removed the master cylinder cover it was clear that there was not an abundance of fluid.  However the sight window was full indicting sufficient fluid and there was no signs of leakage.  The low level line on the casting is below the sight window.  Even after attempts to bleed the system there was apparently enough fluid.
            Back in the workshop I stripped the cylinder, generally cleaned and inspected the components and reassembled, filled with new fluid and bled out the air.  Brakes appear to work ok and there are no obvious leaks.
             So  have I learned anything?  I will no longer rely solely on the fluid indicator. Theoretically that is what it is there for, to obviate the need to remove the top cover for routine maintenance.

Phil R.

How long has ya brake fluid been in there for Phil, I ran out of brakes at neerim ride.......Ride for Ted ride.........., Colin asked me the same question, he told me that he had the same problem, he changed the brake fluid & it was all good, I changed my brake fluid & on my last ride I gave it a good work out, ahhhh it's so good to have brakes when you want them.

Anyone that hasn't changed their brake fluid in the last 12 months, it might be a good idea to do it.
Don't mess with old bikers, they don't just look crazy. :)

My first motor bike ride at the age 13, 58 years later I'm still riding.

Phil's SATURDAY Marysville Ride 07 Mar 2016 14:00 #15022

• Willbar
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 29
Frankieboy wrote:
Phil Randall wrote:

Phil R.

How long has ya brake fluid been in there for Phil, I ran out of brakes at neerim ride.......Ride for Ted ride.........., Colin asked me the same question, he told me that he had the same problem, he changed the brake fluid & it was all good, I changed my brake fluid & on my last ride I gave it a good work out, ahhhh it's so good to have brakes when you want them.

Anyone that hasn't changed their brake fluid in the last 12 months, it might be a good idea to do it.
I work on every brake pad change or at least every 12mths and only use very high temp, normally Motul 600 or 660
It is only when a mosquito lands on your balls that you realise there is always a way to solve problems without using violence

Phil's SATURDAY Marysville Ride 07 Mar 2016 14:45 #15023

• Phil Randall
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 50
Yamaha 250 R just over a year old and 1500 km.   The fluid is as supplied by manufacturer.  Thanks for the thoughts.
Phil R.

Phil's SATURDAY Marysville Ride 07 Mar 2016 16:06 #15024

• Frankieboy
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 105
Phil Randall wrote:
Yamaha 250 R just over a year old and 1500 km.   The fluid is as supplied by manufacturer.  Thanks for the thoughts.
Phil R.

Phil....Condensation gets in through the lines, the book says, we should change the brake fluid every 12 months, I'm not saying that was your problem Mate.

Brake fluid is something that is easily over looked, I'm just as guilty as anyone, I've never changed my brake fluid until the brakes don't work anymore, that reminds me of the time I had the KTM lc4 600, That's when I was still a young bloke & used to ride a bit quicker then I do nowadays :) anyway I was coming up to a tight bend in the track, I knew the track well, used to ride it a fair bit, anyway it was time to hit the skids, no time to say or think anything, I over shot the corner down between trees & ended up in a black berry bush :)

My memory is coming back :) in both cases I had cooked my brakes some time before, when it cooled down it worked again so never thought more about it.

To anyone reading this, it's up to you, but I'm going to change my brake fluid if I ever cook my brakes again.
Don't mess with old bikers, they don't just look crazy. :)

My first motor bike ride at the age 13, 58 years later I'm still riding.
Time to create page: 0.249 seconds