Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome to the AMTRA forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

TOPIC: AMTRA Early Days...way back when....

AMTRA Early Days...way back when.... 23 Jun 2019 19:08 #30128

• Chappa
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 38
That’s awesome Kerry I would have just turned 3
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: kerrywill

AMTRA Early Days...way back when.... 23 Jun 2019 19:32 #30129

• Tim D
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 269
What an adventure Kerry, if you're doing it again I'm in!

AMTRA Early Days...way back when.... 23 Jun 2019 20:28 #30133

• Ian Robinson
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 119
That would have been the first Bentleys Plains camp from memory. A real pity many of those tracks are not rideable anymore. We were lucky to be able ride them before the needless closures. I believe there was a few angry wives/girlfriends that night with the late return back to camp.
Joined 1972. Life member since 1982

AMTRA Early Days...way back when.... 23 Jun 2019 22:19 #30134

• kerrywill
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 36
Tim, those days are long gone for me! ...although those rides were "shining times". These days 100k on the old Ossa or Bulty and I'm buggered!
Will be back in Melb on Wed for the 92yo dad, so will make an AMTRA meeting....and a pie as it turns out! Thanks for the comment..(and pie ...in anticipation!)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tim D

AMTRA Early Days...way back when.... 23 Jun 2019 22:50 #30135

• kerrywill
  • Senior Boarder
Ian, yep!...first Bentley's plain camp. Rob Simons and a few others went exploring up there in Nov and were impressed with the riding potential of the area. Leigh Bradstreet, Bob and I  all drove up one night to set up for the Christmas Camp and got to Moscow Villa at about 1:00am. I organised another Christmas camp at Bentley's 2 years later.
Your right, some of those tracks were great riding...Nunniong Trail as I think it was then known is now a big dirt road. Stopped in at Nunniong Plain 2 years ago near New Year for a look...like a bloody caravan park...people driving all around the plain, 4WDs,  vans, horse floats...not as I remembered it....buggered in comparison to 40+ years ago when possibly the only  visitors were likely to be Jim Commins and his sons visiting their cattle lease...and  AMTRA!  Forlorn Hope Track (now long gone to bikes) was a great run. You may remember Cup w/end '76 (?) when you, George Cook, Alan Jefferies David Baxter, Peter Hartman and Bruce Harvey-Fuller and I stayed at Bentley's , riding Forlorn Hope (have a few pics of drowned bikes in the Buchan), a rolling race down into Suggan Buggan and then the run back down Wombargo Track, having to carry the bikes across the rather deep Buchan River at dusk and riding back up Reedy Ck Track and back in the dark, cold and wet with pissy headlights(...on Ossa and Bulty anyway!) (we were up to our Buchan ears in the Buchan River!)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ian Robinson, Rod

AMTRA Early Days...way back when.... 24 Jun 2019 08:52 #30136

• Ken R
  • Platinum Boarder
  • RETIRED?
  • Thank you received: 137
What a great read Kerry, your memory is amazing.

My first family camp was at Moscow Villa about 36 years ago we think. There was a mob of family's over from SA and the kids spent a week going up and down this big hill next to the camp on their 2 and 3 wheel bikes, no trouble with them sleeping.

My PE250B got a work out on some good tracks and the nightly camp fires were always entertaining.
It's just more time to be flat out!

AMTRA Early Days...way back when.... 24 Jun 2019 19:55 #30142

• Ian Robinson
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 119
On another camp at Bentleys Plains we decided to ride to the Snowy. Using tracks mentioned in Kerrys post we got to McKillops bridge and decided to head up Deddick Track and the now closed best track in Vic, Moonkan Track.We got to Jacksons Crossing on the Snowy about 4pm. None of us had been there before and did not know we had to travel down stream at about a 290 degree angle as that is where the crossing went,  at least 100 metres through the river. We could see a track on the other side and thought we should just head straight across. The only problem with that was the other side of the river was deep,  waist to chest high. After all the bikes were carried/floated across and dewatered it was almost 6pm. A very cold wet ride back to camp arriving back around mid night. 
Joined 1972. Life member since 1982

AMTRA Early Days...way back when.... 24 Jun 2019 22:01 #30145

• kerrywill
  • Senior Boarder
Ian, yes, the Snowy is wide at Jackson's Crossing....and a long, cold, wet ride back to Bentley's Plain from the Snowy....glad I missed that one! Did you head back via Buchan and Gelantipy? Hope you all, or some, had headlights that didn't just trickle over the front wheel! ie. not Bultacos or Ossas!
Time to create page: 0.192 seconds