Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome to the AMTRA forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

TOPIC: What should be the ????????

What should be the ???????? 24 May 2018 20:31 #26214

• Dr. Peter
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
Is it possible to have too many bikes?
Is it possible to have too many of the wrong bike{s}?
I believe the answer is yes.

As I look out my back door I see a Suzuki S40 Boulevard (cruiser) which I bought new last year, but now I realise isn't enough of a dirt bike. In fact I hardly ride it and it has to go. 

I see a 1976 TY250 Yamaha and this is where I visit a darker side of my personality. BTW, I am hopeless at trials but it is a strangely addictive form of motorcycling and the people are very nice. This bike is a keeper.

And, I have two DT 175s: One is an 02 model,disk braked and rec-regged, with very low Ks, and members have seen, smelt and sniggered at this bike and, dare I say, me, on recent club runs. All I can say is hey, it makes me remember when I was 16 in a fond way, and I don't have altzheimers.  At least, I don't remember.....

I recently bought an unregistered, un-disk braked, recently rebuilt 98 model DT175, with an idea about swapping front ends about and riding vinduro, (needless to say that didn't work). That's a Saturday I won't get back. I think think the DTs have to go. Sad, but true. I could ride the TY250 at the occasional vinduro on private property.

The club rides are challenging, and it has been suggested, quite strongly, that I need a European 250. However, I am at the stage of life where a 'lap' of this great country may be in order. I would prefer to do this with an appropriate towing/camping car/van/ute and a two-bike trailer. On one side is the TY, on the other, is a fully registerable ??????

What should be the ???????
Peter Farrell
2017 Suzuki S40 Boulevard (cruising) - loned out
2006 Kawasaki KLE 500 (adventure) - loned out
1989 Suzuki TS 250 X (vinduro)
1986 Honda Goldwing 1200
1988 Honda Goldwing 1500
1976 TY250 (twin shock trials and officiating)
Last Edit: 24 May 2018 20:53 by Dr. Peter.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

What should be the ???????? 24 May 2018 20:43 #26215

• Ian Robinson
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 119
drz400
Joined 1972. Life member since 1982

What should be the ???????? 24 May 2018 20:54 #26216

• Dr. Peter
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
That was short and quick.
Peter Farrell
2017 Suzuki S40 Boulevard (cruising) - loned out
2006 Kawasaki KLE 500 (adventure) - loned out
1989 Suzuki TS 250 X (vinduro)
1986 Honda Goldwing 1200
1988 Honda Goldwing 1500
1976 TY250 (twin shock trials and officiating)

What should be the ???????? 24 May 2018 22:26 #26219

• Tony H
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 37
Hi Peter, what do you require of the registered mount?
If you want a reliable bike that will give years of good service the DRZ400 is a great suggestion. I bought one in 2001 and had a lot of fun over the years riding some quite challenging terrain. It also coped well with road km's with an aftermarket seat and long range tank. They're far from light however have a nice torquey motor, an electric leg and don't require the service intervals of the more highly strung enduro mounts. Great for riding at a gentlemanly pace with enough poke if you want the occasional adrenalin rush.
Keep in mind they're a trail bike, not a racing machine. 

Re. vinduro, there's trials and ag bikes that regularly enter VIC events.

cheers Tony

What should be the ???????? 24 May 2018 22:41 #26220

• Ken R
  • Platinum Boarder
  • RETIRED?
  • Thank you received: 137
DRZ400 is too heavy and has slack suspension, Toby Price would make it look good but you would struggle.

WR250 Doc, only way to go. Get the softer one, not the enduro one, a bit lower (I think) and easier to maintain.
It's just more time to be flat out!
Last Edit: 24 May 2018 22:46 by Ken R.

What should be the ???????? 25 May 2018 07:51 #26221

• Al
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 119
Dr.
Wr250r is the model Ken is talking about. Un like the wr250f it has as Ken says lower seat height, long service intervals and is hwy friendly unlike the f model which don't like hwy k's. 
Al

What should be the ???????? 25 May 2018 08:23 #26222

• Rob
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 22
I had a DR and they are great for reliability and not too tall, but they are too heavy and really crap suspension.

What should be the ???????? 25 May 2018 09:04 #26224

• Trevor b
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 16
I have owned a WRR in the past and currently own a DRZ. Both good bikes but I prefer the DRZ for the extra power, it is a lot faster that the WRR, heaps more grunt down low.  I've used both bikes for harder adventure type riding as well as some trailriding which they both do well.

I actually think the DRZ suspension works quite well despite being grossly undersprung. Both ends are very soft but the rear more so, it doesnt take much to bottom the rear even with my light weight aboard. The WRR spring rates are much closer to the mark but the rear shock has no rebound damping at all. I had mine revalved but it took the tuner a couple of goes to get it right as the shock is a little different to most and he had to add a heap of shims to get enough rebound.

The WRR has a better gearbox, its a wide ratio 6 speed whereas the DRZ is a fairly narrow 5 speed but because of the extra grunt the DRZ can be geared to cope with most trailriding and still be decent on the highway. Neither bike is much good for tight single track, too heavy with weight being carried fairly high.

I plan on buying a lighter trailbike but will keep the DRZ for adventure stuff and also plan to put a mount on the front of the caravan for it.

Cheers

Trev
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dr. Peter

What should be the ???????? 25 May 2018 09:24 #26225

• Ken R
  • Platinum Boarder
  • RETIRED?
  • Thank you received: 137
I've watched you riding a bit Peter, you do not need grunt. Better suspension will help any rider.

Putting a WRr on a trailer with less weight will be easier too, and cheaper to tow.
It's just more time to be flat out!

What should be the ???????? 25 May 2018 09:24 #26226

• Mat R
  • Administrator
  • AMTRA Treasurer
  • Thank you received: 93
Is it possible to have too many bikes? NO
Is it possible to have too many of the wrong bike{s}? NO

The number of bikes required is N+1, where N is how many you currently have.

But for what you think you may do, a WR250R may be the ticket, the newer ones look far more capable than the older ones. Don't discount the DRZ250, a capable trail bike rather than endure and bit lighter than the 400.
The older I get, the slower I was.
Time to create page: 0.212 seconds