Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome to the AMTRA forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

TOPIC: Park Camping fees

Park Camping fees 06 Nov 2015 17:42 #12806

• Ian Robinson
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 119
I had a call from a member/ex member today who has been in a prospecting club for 20 plus years. Ian asked me about the fees we need to pay to camp in parks managed by Vic Parks. I said we do not pay any fees. Ian said his club informed Parks Vic of when they had a camp and what area is is in. They (the prospecting club) are now being told they are running "an event" and must pay a fee. 28 people costs about $130.00. There is also an eight page document to fill out and it takes up to eight weeks to get the permit (as long as the local Aborigines allow the permit also as they might just happen to disturb some sacred place).
Sounds like bureaucracy gone mad and I said it would be better to not inform Parks Vic about the camps and if the Rangers turn up just say you are a group of friends out camping.  Anyway, I wonder how long it will be until they try this with other clubs?
Joined 1972. Life member since 1982
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Park Camping fees 06 Nov 2015 21:24 #12811

• lefty
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 52
Group of friends out camping, I dont think so. I turned up by myself and I dont know these other people, Im just being friendly and sitting around the fire having a beer ranger Kev. By the way, my name is Albert from the Didyoubringyourgrogalong tribe...

World's gone crazy Ian...

Park Camping fees 07 Nov 2015 11:36 #12815

• gms5
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
By the way, my name is Albert from the Didyoubringyourgrogalong tribe...

close relatives of the Weardafucarwee tribe :up:
Last Edit: 07 Nov 2015 11:38 by gms5.

Park Camping fees 08 Nov 2015 10:57 #12827

• Mat R
  • Administrator
  • AMTRA Treasurer
  • Thank you received: 94
DSE/DEPI/What are they now have for a long time had guidelines up that groups over about 25 need permits to stage events in state forests/parks. Using 25 people was set as a nominal divider between small and large groups but is still not a hard and fast number I am told. Certain activities, such as weddings, or events where a fee may be charged also required permits. An example is AMTRA's own High Country Ride.

A concern of state land managers had been the organising of events like dance or rave type parties on state land, where participants may not exercise the same level of care as typical bush users, nor the same level of understanding in preparation for camping in remote areas. 

Government acts can require event approval involve consent from the traditional land owners. Parks Vic may also have additional requirements on National Parks that are more onerous than State Forest or State Parks.

The prospectors club camping trips are an interesting one. My understanding is that with existing miners rights they can go into an area to prospect in almost any size group. If they were to stay in town and venture out during the day or night to prospect no permits would be needed, but if they want to camp on site that they have to have the permit. The permit is more about managing the potential impact of a larger group of campers on the site, that may be intended for smaller groups or infrequent use. Consent of traditional owners would be to ensure the camping area and proposed activities does not impact any area of significance to them. It may not stop the, prospecting at a certain location, but may influence how they travel from the campsite to prospecting site.

Under government principles of "user pays" the time required to administer this is required to be covered by the applicants. With meeting times of traditional owners not under control of the parks bodies the time taken to inform and get response being 8 weeks is not that surprising.

If you don't like the rules then you need to be prepared to put efforts in to get them changed. Understanding the rules can be a challenge in itself. Working within the sphere of politics is a whole other world from our bush activities.

AMTRA is working with the Fossickers Club, Miners clubs and several other state land users in the Public Land Access Council in the interest of maintaining and improving access of recreational users to state managed lands. Interaction with the groups involved is giving me a wider perspective on the activities of our fellow bush users. See the facebook page "Public Land Access Council PLAC" or look at www.plac.com.au.

Mat Richmond,
President.
The older I get, the slower I was.
Time to create page: 0.192 seconds