Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome to the AMTRA forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

TOPIC: Ride Report - Big River to Woods Point.

Ride Report - Big River to Woods Point. 14 Jun 2015 13:45 #10688

• lefty
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 51
Hello all, I'll start the ride report while its still fresh in my mind.
Up at 5 and heading off at 6 with my son Sean. Cruising up into Lilydale I spot the twin De Props so hook in behind them and off we go. Just out of Healsville I get a smell of burning rubber, no its not Harlz with wheel spin, its a blown tyre on the Chris's trailer. Not to worry, 10 minutes and its fixed and off we go.
The sun is starting to rise over the magnificent hills of the Yarra Ranges, looking like a great day. Get into Marysville to meet the others and Mark tells me his car temp gauge was reading 4 deg, twas a wee bit cool. Heading up the hill towards Big River and all in convoy I rounded a left sweeper and wondered why others in front were braking, frost on the road. Wow, lucky for ABS I got through it. Full lock, pinned in 3rd, off we go...
Pulled into to Big River and met some more enthusiasts and started to unload, its warmed down to 2 deg. Encouragingly enough the sun is burning off the fog and it should be out soon. So, from here on you know the drill, we are heading to Woods Point. I'm tail man right, there to serve and protect but I had nothing to do but try and keep up as everybody rode so well (few guns amongst the mix I might add). Along the way and after a bit of a narrow track a KTM had a few issues (make comment here) the problem was grave so Jeff dinked the rider back to camp to get his fourbe and we were off again. Long flowing tracks, fast sections, slow sections, up hills and then ridge riding down into Woods Point where Frank De Prop was preparing lunch. Snags on the open fire sure beats squishy sangas from the back pack, well done Frank.
The sun was out in all its glory and it makes you feel alive and appreciate this great country, and wonder why some want to f**k it up.
We headed out from Woods Point (after loosing Mark and Greg, who had hair appointments)  up a track that should be called Rocky Hill track, it was a teeth rattler. Some more great tracks and a constant good speed,  we met a few challenging uphills which saw a few bikes put down and second attempts (for some) Not far from home.
Now, it was a great day as I have said, however it was put to the group that the last narrow track was "a little down hill with maybe a log or two to traverse", "how steep" I ask. " You'll be right" was the answer. I didn't hear the giggles and after sliding 800 meters into the abyss and no point of return i pressed on, on one very challenging narrow tracks that was the track of the day. Toughest one of the day and should have expected it from Chris. Got back to the cars just on sunset, just about spent.
Finished loading up in the dark and having a final chin wag around a warming fire about 6. 134 ks for the day and what a great day. No jackets needed, no rain and beautiful scenery.
Big high five to the De Props and all those who came along, helped, and made it memorable.      
Last Edit: 14 Jun 2015 13:56 by lefty.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Ride Report - Big River to Woods Point. 14 Jun 2015 15:20 #10689

• Graeme
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
Again thankyou Chris and Matt for a memorable day.
As Lefty said, some big ups and big downs with a few rocks just to 
add to the excitement. 
Needed spotlights for that last single,  judging those ruts in the dark
are a guess.
Thankyou for the helping hands.( Jeff has to be nighted)

A huge thankyou to Frank for some hot snags,warm fire and hot coffee.

I'm down for the next one Chris.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Time to create page: 0.186 seconds